Help more children and young people from disadvantaged areas, improve your school’s performance and retain staff by nominating your middle leaders for our inspiring Expert Middle Leaders programme.
Content Back to top
The Expert Middle Leaders (formerly known as Teaching Leaders) programme gives participants the skills they need to lead on curriculum, assessment and pedagogy (methods of teaching) in either primary or secondary schools.
Over two years, participants will benefit from:
- Intensive residential training over 7 days so participants can gain expertise and knowledge to put into practice in their school. They’ll do 4 days in the 2020 summer holidays (W/C 24 August 2020) and 3 days in 2021
- An additional 7 days of face-to-face training outside of school hours, plus 12 hours of virtual sessions with facilitators experienced in school leadership to enhance skills
- A transformative 9 hours of virtual coaching to achieve their goals
- Academic tutoring with an experienced tutor for a total of 5 hours to get to grips with key topics
- Peer learning group sessions, totalling 10 hours, to learn from like-minded peers
- Access to a network of thousands of leaders for personal and professional support
- Access to the latest teaching research and evidence and a range of assessment and curriculum planning tools to work more effectively
- Spending one hour of independent learning per week to reflect on their own professional development
Find out more about Expert Middle Leaders
We're now welcoming applications for our 2020 cohort of our Expert Middle Leaders programme. Complete our quick enquiry form and our School Partnerships team will be in touch.Enquire now
“If you want your middle leaders to understand clearly what middle leadership is about, how they feed into driving whole school improvement, how they are accountable beyond their classes and for them to be able to devise well-structured action plans, then I would suggest this programme.”
Why nominate? Back to top
Transform the quality of teaching
Your middle leaders will learn how to embed a positive and lasting change. They’ll be exposed to the latest in behavioural insights so you can effectively and strategically drive school-wide improvement.
Unlock the potential of your most promising leaders
Now is the ideal time to think about who could be leading your school(s) in the future. This programme will help you develop high-potential staff for leadership in the future. The course is fully-funded and training takes place out of school hours so your school will get all the benefits for no cost.
Design an expert curriculum
Your middle leaders will develop their subject expertise and learn how to design and implement a curriculum that is valued by pupils, is memorable and enables deep learning using the latest cognitive science of learning research
Retain your best staff
Investing in your staff makes them more likely to stay at your school – and in the teaching profession. In a 2018 survey of the predecessor Teaching Leaders programme participants, 63% of respondents had been promoted since completing the course
Learn from the best
Your middle leaders will benefit from a programme that is designed by experts, includes the latest knowledge and skills to meet the new Ofsted framework and embraces findings from 10 years’ experience of delivering impact driven middle leadership programmes.
Cost Back to top
The Expert Middle Leaders programme is fully-funded, so there’s no cost for schools or participants. It is funded by the Department for Education’s Teaching and Leadership Innovation Fund (TLIF).
NPQs Back to top
Expert Middle Leaders includes the option for participants to choose between a National Professional Qualification for Middle Leadership (NPQML) or National Professional Qualification for Senior Leadership (NPQSL) during their first year.
Participants wishing to undertake the NPQSL will need to complete a viva at the end of the first year to assess suitability. Participants will then start the NPQ in year two with a mix of face-to-face learning, online tasks and independent study. Completion of the NPQ will be expected during year two with submission on completion of the programme.
Study required to achieve one of the NPQs is included in the programme model. Details regarding the projects and curriculum can be found here.
There is an additional cost of £150 per participant to complete either the NPQML or NPQSL.
Participants will join a cohort of 500 middle leaders keen to develop their expertise.
Find our performance against nationally set NPQ metrics here.
Next steps Back to top
Please fill out this quick enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss how you can nominate someone to become an Expert Middle Leader.