Ambition and IfT respond to DfE’s Statement of Intent
Oct. 11, 2018
Melanie Renowden, Deputy CEO, said:
“We welcome the Department’s announcement today, highlighting its commitment to increasing the diversity of the school workforce.
“As we prepare to launch the new organisation bringing together Ambition School Leadership and the Institute for Teaching, we are taking the opportunity to address some of the structural barriers to equality in the school workforce.
"We will have a single purpose: to help all educators to keep getting better – whatever their background and however they identify themselves.
"At Ambition School Leadership, we are proud of our track record in supporting diversity in school leadership:
- 55% of all leaders we have supported to headship are women.
- In March 2018 we launched the first cohort of the women-only Headship programme to support more women to become headteachers.
Our programmes attract, retain and support educators who identify as BAME to progress their careers:
- 14% of the leaders we have supported to headship are BAME (nationally, just 3% of headteachers identify as BAME).
- In 2017, 6% of the senior leaders on our Future Leaders programme were BAME (nationally, 5% of teachers are in senior leadership roles).
- In 2017, 21% of middle leaders on our Teaching Leaders programme were BAME (nationally, 8% of BAME teachers are in middle leadership roles).
“But we know there is more to be done. That is why we have launched ‘Under Construction’, a campaign to empower more high-potential teachers and leaders – from all backgrounds and walks of life – to take the next step in their career.
“We will be working with our network of leaders and our partners in the business, education and government sectors to achieve this goal.
“I am excited by the potential of this campaign to support the DfE’s commitment to nurture a more diverse school workforce.”
Notes to editors
Ambition School Leadership and the Institute for Teaching legally became one organisation on 3rd September 2018. The new organisation will launch publicly in early 2019.