National Professional Qualifications (NPQs)
Since September 2021, the reformed NPQs have given teachers and school leaders opportunities to develop their skills and knowledge. What are they? And which might be right for you?
Applications for our NPQ spring 2024 cohorts have now closed. You can register your interest for yourself, or your school or trust for future cohorts here.
Our NPQ programmes support the professional development of teachers and school leaders, drawing on the very best research and evidence. They focus on what teachers and school leaders need to know to build their expertise.
There are nine NPQ programmes, five specialist NPQs and four leadership NPQs, each designed with a ‘little and often’ approach. This means you can learn around your timetable and other commitments, taking minimal time away from your school or trust.
The spring 2024 cohorts may be the last to be fully funded by the Department for Education. Funding information for future cohorts will be announced shortly.
"The training has exceeded my expectations. I am so glad I am part of the programme and wish that I has started sooner." - NPQ Participant
Our year-long specialist NPQ programmes help teachers and school leaders to develop their skills and knowledge in a specialist area. They are:
- NPQ in Leading Behaviour and Culture – Gain expertise in behaviour management and discover how to create a school culture where staff and pupils can thrive.
- NPQ in Leading Literacy – Become an expert leader of literacy and learn its importance in enabling young people to reach their full potential.
- NPQ in Leading Teaching – Discover what outstanding teaching looks like and use this knowledge to become a high performing leader of teaching.
- NPQ in Leading Teacher Development – Become an expert teacher educator and learn how to successfully support teachers to improve their practice
- NPQ in Leading Primary Mathematics (New for spring 2024) – Become an expert leader of primary mathematics and learn how to embed high-quality Mastery approaches to maths teaching in your school.
To find out more about our specialist NPQs, read our blog: Specialist NPQs: The next step in your leadership development?
"Every module has impacted my practice. Each week, small adjustments as part of the apply tasks has positively benefitted my role." - NPQ Participant
Our 18-month long leadership NPQ programmes give teachers and school leaders the opportunity to develop their leadership practice across a range of contexts. They are:
- NPQ in Early Years Leadership – Become an expert in early years leadership, helping to give children up to the age of five the best possible start in life.
- NPQ in Senior Leadership – Develop your leadership knowledge and expertise to improve outcomes for teachers and pupils across your school.
- NPQ in Headship* – Develop the knowledge that underpins expert school leadership and apply it to become an outstanding headteacher.
- NPQ in Executive Leadership – Develop the expertise you need to lead change and improvement across your schools or trust.
*Headteachers in the first five years of headship should also consider the Early Headship Coaching Offer. This programme provides personalised support in specific areas that are relevant to your school context. It helps you to embed learning from the NPQH in your day-to-day practice.
To find out more about our Leadership NPQs, read our blog: The Leadership NPQs: 6 Reasons To Get Excited
"It has supported and reinforced many things that I had been thinking about but didn't have the confidence to act on." - NPQ Participant
All the evidence shows that improving teaching and school leadership is the best way to make sure that every pupil, regardless of their background, gets the best possible education.
Through our programmes, we want to ensure there are expert teachers in every classroom being led by exceptional school leaders at all levels.
We give teachers and school leaders opportunities to develop that draw on insights from the cutting edge of research. Our programmes also focus on the key challenges they face in their roles.
Enrolling on an NPQ with us means joining over 18,000 people (as of April 2023) who have trusted Ambition Institute to help them develop their skills, knowledge and practice.
Our growing network gives our participants the chance to develop their skills and knowledge alongside their peers.
Register your interest in our National Professional Qualifications (NPQs).click here