Summer Series webinars
Practical training webinars and virtual roundtables to tackle the challenges you're facing.
The coronavirus lockdown and school closures have created new and different challenges for teachers and school leaders.
That’s why we’re creating free and open access content to help you do your jobs in exceptional circumstances. Our Summer Series will support you through, and beyond, the coronavirus pandemic.
We’re running practical training webinars and virtual roundtables to address the current challenges schools are facing and the widening disadvantage gap that we will have to close, together.
Webinars will be delivered by our faculty and feature teachers and school leaders from across the sector. Join us to hear about:
- Effective online learning
- Assessing and closing the disadvantage gap after Covid-19
- Pastoral care and curriculum design for when schools reopen
- Supporting NQTs when schools re-open
- Building system-wide resilience
Curriculum after closures: what should schools prioritise? with Melissa ThomlinsonThursday 11 June, 2:00-3:00pm
Join Melissa Thomlinson, Ambition Institute Dean for Impact Governance, plus guests for our latest roundtable. This week we'll be discussing curriculum and the changes needed as a result of school closures. We'll cover:
- The role curriculum can play in helping school leaders and teachers respond to the needs of pupils.
- Reflections from school leaders who are responding to curriculum challenges.
- Ensuring the approach to curriculum is resilient to further disruption.
Melissa will be joined by:
- David Benson, Principal at Kensington Aldridge Academy
- Helen Drury, Director of Curriculum Programmes at Ark
- Andy Wolfe, Deputy CEO at the Church of England Education Office
- Elliot Costas-Walker, Assistant Trust Principal at Forward As One Academy Trust
We held our fourth Summer Series webinar on 3 June, focusing on motivation and how to boost it when pupils return to classrooms. If you weren't able to make it a recording plus further reading is available here >
Dates for the diary
- 11 June, 2pm: Preparing for reopening, the curriculum challenge. Roundtable discussion led by Melissa Thomlinson
- 19 June, 4pm: What does a pandemic mean for school leadership development? Roundtable discussion led by Tom Rees and Jen Barker
- Date TBC: Closing the gap for NQTs. Roundtable discussion led by Genevieve Field
- 30 June, 4pm: Introduction to the science of learning. Training webinar with Nick Rose
- 2 July, 4pm: Remember, pupils will forget! Training webinar with Paula Delaney
Check back here soon for more information on these upcoming webinars, and how to sign up for them.
NB We're still working on the details for some of these webinars, so these titles might change slightly nearer the time.
- How to teach effectively online. Ambition Institute Fellow Steve Farndon shared research-based techniques for planning and delivering effective online teaching. Watch back here >
- How will we tackle the disadvantage gap when schools re-open? Ambition's Sir David Carter, hosted a virtual roundtable discussion with experts from across the sector on how schools and trusts can prepare for re-opening. Watch back here >
- Assessing and meeting pupils' needs. Harry Fletcher-Wood spoke to an assessment expert plus two headteachers about how we can understand the needs of pupils when they can safely return to the classroom. Watch back here >
- Motivating pupils when schools re-open. Peps Mccrea discussed motivation with Assistant Headteacher Caroline Spalding, who shared some insights on how to use it in the classroom. Watch back here >
Join our webinars
Join us for Melissa Thomlinson's webinar on the how curriculum can help schools when they reopen.Sign up