Nominate your ambitious potential or novice headteachers for our Headship programme so they can become expert and evidence-informed headteachers in the next 18 months and help more children and young people from disadvantaged areas.
Content Back to top
The programme is 18 months long. Participants benefit from:
- Expert-led, evidence-based, face-to-face training over six full days, which take place as three weekend residential stays, to help you gain the skills and knowledge to become an expert headteacher
- Online learning, including virtual twilights
- Individual coaching from exceptional leaders
- The chance to share learning and insight with a close-knit group of aspiring and novice heads working in similar contexts. They’ll also join our national network of more than 14,000 leaders in 2,800 schools
- Gain an NPQH through two written assessments and a nine-day placement in another school
Find out more about the Headship Programme
Please fill out this quick enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss how you can nominate someone for the Headship Programme.Enquire now
“Having one-to-one time with experienced headteachers raised my confidence and helped fill gaps in my knowledge at the same time.”
Curriculum Back to top
Participants will engage with the following topics:
- Leadership theories and their application
- Effective implementation
- Use of data and assessment
- Self-evaluation and identification of areas for improvement
- Leading effective teaching and learning (instruction, assessment and curriculum)
- Climate for pupil and professional learning
- Effective professional development of staff
- Finance and resource management
- Working with governors, stakeholders and in collaborative partnerships
- HR and statutory guidelines/requirements.
This content will be delivered over the course of three two-day residential conferences and seven online twilight sessions, all of which must be attended to complete the course.
NPQs Back to top
As part of the programme participants will be required to complete a National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH).
To achieve the NPQH, they must complete two written assignments, focusing on the following:
- Leading a whole-school change programme to improve pupil progress and attainment (4,000-word essay), which will take around nine days.
- Researching a placement school’s current and/or projected resource and capability challenges and designing an action plan to address them (2,500 words), which will last for two terms.
Details regarding the projects and curriculum can be found here.
Participants will join a cohort of between 70-90 senior leaders keen to develop their leadership expertise.
Find our performance against nationally set NPQ metrics here.
Why apply? Back to top
Transform outcomes for the pupils you serve
Participants will gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to improve outcomes and close the attainment gap faced by schools in disadvantaged areas.
Unlock the potential of your most promising leaders
Now is the ideal time to think about who could be leading your school(s) in the next 12 to 18 months. This programme will help you develop high-potential staff for headship or fast-track the development of novice heads.
Access coaching or mentoring from successful current or former school leaders.
Develop your best staff
Investing in your staff through the Headship programme will make them feel valued and better able to achieve their ambitions.
“Ambition Institute’s Headship programme was the preparation I needed to make the move into headship. Hearing from exceptional heads gave me something to aspire to, and the tailored training equipped me with the tools to lead a school in challenging circumstances.”
Cost Back to top
The Headship programme costs £3,500.
Next steps Back to top
Please fill out this quick enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss how you can nominate someone for the Headship Programme.