Coronavirus update: We are still welcoming applications for our next Headship with NPQH. We've adapted this programme to make it as accessible as possible.
Join this programme if it’s your ambition to become a headteacher or develop rapidly in role over the course of the next 12 months in a challenging school.
Content Back to top
The programme is 12 months long. On this programme, you’ll benefit from:
- Expert-led, evidence-based, face-to-face training over six full days, which take place as three weekend residential stays, to help you gain the skills and knowledge to develop expertise as a headteacher
- Online learning, including virtual twilights
- Individual coaching from exceptional leaders
- The chance to share learning and insight with a close-knit group of aspiring and novice heads working in similar contexts
- Gain an NPQH through two written assessments and a nine-day placement in another school
Enquire about our Headship programme
Applications for our summer 2020 cohort are closed but we are accepting enquiries for our upcoming autumn cohort. Please register your interest by clicking the link below.Enquire now
Curriculum Back to top
Participants will engage with the following topics:
- Leadership theories and their application
- Effective implementation
- Use of data and assessment
- Self-evaluation and identification of areas for improvement
- Leading effective teaching and learning (instruction, assessment and curriculum)
- Climate for pupil and professional learning
- Effective professional development of staff
- Finance and resource management
- Working with governors, stakeholders and in collaborative partnerships
- HR and statutory guidelines/requirements.
This content will be delivered over the course of three two-day residential conferences and seven online twilight sessions, all of which must be attended to complete the programme.
NPQs Back to top
As part of the programme you will be required to complete a National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH).
To achieve the NPQH, you must complete two written assignments, focusing on the following:
- Leading a whole-school change programme to improve pupil progress and attainment (4,000-word essay), which will take around nine days.
- Researching a placement school’s current and/or projected resource and capability challenges and designing an action plan to address them (2,500 words), which will last for two terms.
Details regarding the projects and curriculum can be found here.
You will join a cohort of between 30-45 senior leaders keen to develop their leadership expertise.
Find our performance against nationally set NPQ metrics here.
Why apply? Back to top
Lead a school in the next 16 months
The Headship programme is the best way to gain the knowledge, skills and confidence you need to become or improve as a head within the next 12-15 months. Our programmes have helped almost 400 participants achieve headship.
Learn from those around you
Join a network of over 14,000 exceptional school leaders from over 2,800 schools, to share challenges, learn from one another, and take that knowledge back to improve your school.
Cost Back to top
The Headship programme costs £3,500.
Speak to our team to find out more about this programme.
Next steps Back to top
If you have any questions or would like further information, please fill out this quick enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch.